We use Google reCAPTCHA on our sign-in and sign-up pages to detect and prevent against spammers and other automated systems from overloading our systems. This detection is based on a number of factors, and is an automated process that runs in the background.
Occasionally, this system can have a "false positive", Google reCAPTCHA thinks that a normal everyday user (such as you) are a robot, even though you're pretty sure you're not. When this happens, we will display a message along the lines of
Our system thinks you are a robot. Please try again.
The usual troubleshooting first steps are as follows:
- Refresh the page and try to sign in/sign up again
- Hard refresh the page by pressing Cmd + Shift + R on a Mac, or Ctrl + Shift + R on a Windows computer.
And then if that doesn't work:
- Close the tab and/or your web browser and try to sign in/sign up again
This should fix the problem for most users, but certain users have experienced persistent messages despite doing the above steps. We do recommend following those steps, but if they don't work for you, you can try the following:
- Go to the sign-in/sign-up page where the message is appearing
- Right-click on the page, and choose Inspect from the menu. The developer tools window will appear in your browser alongside the usual website content
- At the top of the developer tools window, click the Application tab. Depending on the size of the window, and your browser, it may be hidden behind the overflow options, so click to expand and then click Application
- On the left-hand side of the developer tools window, look for the Storage section and click on the arrow to expand the Cookies subsection
- Right-click on the AddEvent cookies entry, and choose Clear. It should look something like "https://app.addevent.com"
- Click the X in the top right-hand corner of the window to close the developer tools window
- Refresh the page!
From experience, this should fix any stubborn and/or persistent issues with our system, thinking you're a robot. If it doesn't, and you're really, really sure that you're not a robot (even you must be getting a little suspicious at this point), then please reach out to [email protected] and our wonderful support team will work with you to try and find a solution.
Updated 3 months ago